Tuesday, 1 November 2011

My hair care routine

This post is pretty simple compared to some of the fancy products that some people use, but I thought I'd still do a post on what I use on my hair. 
I like to try out different shampoos and conditioners and often change brand every time I run out and have to repurchase, but I find herbal essences suits my hair really well. 

I didn't realise until I put them all together that they're all pink! 

I've been colouring my hair for as long as I can remember, so I try to buy shampoo's aimed at coloured hair to reduce fading and add shine as those of you with dyed red hair will know that it doesn't tend to stay vibrant for very long at all :( I really like this shampoo and conditioner, they leave my hair feeling clean and looking healthy. Not to mention they smell so yummy!



Next, I cannot rave enough about this product! I've always suffered from short hair syndrome, where my hair reaches my shoulders and then decides that it's had enough of growing. Teamed with me dying it too much and the hairdressers chopping off a fair few inches every time I go because of dying it too much, I've always had medium length hair and dreamed of long flowing locks.
Then I found this pot of magic one day when browsing in Boots. You massage it into your roots and leave it on for 5 mins in between washing and conditioning your hair then you're left with beautiful shiny locks. 
At first I was sceptical but keen to see what all the fuss was about and after using it every time I washed my hair for 3 weeks, I noticed that my hair was not only looking, but feeling much stronger. 

I've been using this once or twice a week now for a little over a year and my hair has grown A LOT and I genuinely believe that whatever wizzadry they use to create this pot of magic, is the reason why. I'm not sure if it actually makes your hair grow any faster or longer, but it certainly improves and conditions your hair which means there's much less to snipp off and less breakage. 




My hairdresser uses TIGI Afterparty on my hair once she's rescued cut and styled it and I'm always so impressed with how it keeps it frizz free and shiny that I invested in some. It's quite expensive, I think I paid £13 for this tube but It's lasted ages and you really only need a small pump of it so it's well worth it. 


I use a heat protection spray when I straighten or blowdry my hair, I've got a few and am currently using them up as part of my spending ban so I can buy more. I've got GHD, Lee stafford and Lee Mitchell sprays, I find them all good and a must when using heat on hair. 
I try not to use too much heat on my hair, I think this also has contributed in my hair getting stronger also. I used to forever blowdry and straighten my hair, but now I leave it to dry naturally or plait it when it's damp then run the straighteners over lightly if needed. 


As I said before, I've been colouring my hair since I was young. I remember using a shaders and toners dye when i was 11 and have become obsessed with changing my hair colour ever since. I've been all colours and shades, bar blonde. I've always wanted to join the fun side, but never got any lighter than strawberry blonde. One day.
I had dark brown hair for a while when John Frieda launched his foam colour range, I was lucky enough to win a free box in their launch competition and opted for a red shade and was really impressed with it. I used the dye quite a few times and grabbed a box every time it was on offer (RRP £9.99 no thank you!)
But after a while I'd not seen it on offer anywhere and my roots were showing badly and the colour had faded so I picked up this little gem



 Schwarzkopf vital colours in Dark Ruby, I found it in Home Bargains for £3.99 and i've been using this for a few months now. I'm really impressed with it's staying power and colour. 


I'd be really interested to know what works and what doesn't for other people.

Laura
xx


11 comments:

Soph. said...

You have NO IDEA how much I love the Lee Stafford stuff you posted about here! It is by far the best product ever invented! xx

Victoria said...

Ohh I like the sound of that Lee Stafford stuff, 'll definitely be giving that a try xx

choux pastry hearts said...

Soph: haha, I have EVERY idea how much you love it! I love it too!!

Victoria: Yes, do! It's wonderful!!

Zoe said...

This post reminded me that i have half a tub of the lee stafford stuff in my drawer somewhere! Must start using it again, it really is great.

http://zozeze.blogspot.com/
xo

LOVE JOICE said...

Great post! you have a great blog! please check out my blog and follow if you like, I promise to do the same for you! xx
www.lovejoice.blogspot.com

Sandra said...

Herbal Essences' shampoos smell so good!

www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com

LOVE JOICE said...

Following you back, dear! thank you! xx Joice

TheOtherSideofCool said...

I love herbal essences too, but they're so expensive in Malta. I always stock up whenever I'm back in the UK visiting! I also swear by the Tigi After Party balm... it smells SO GOOD and really does smooth and tame- lucky for me its on feelunique.com with free postage so doesn't cost any more than the UK :)

I really want to try that Lee Stafford stuff, I'm pleased to hear you think it's good- another thing to stock up on in my next UK visit! xx

Visit The Other Side Of Cool
Tweet me! @othersideofcool

Mabel said...

I've also been dying my hair since 11!! I've been every single color and you're right about the red. Fades after the first wash ugh. I used the After Party when my hair was short and I really liked it. But I don't use it anymore since it's longer.

Bed Head makes this Color Lockdown shampoo/conditioner specifically for brunettes and redheads (dyed) and it helps to prevent fading. It works well with my dark hair, but I didn't use it when I was red.

Mabel
Mabel Time

Yuliya said...

Love Bed Head products! xxx

Annie.n said...

Loving the amount of pink here! Herbal Essences never fails! xoxo